Friday, October 29, 2010

What is the root of atheism in the Torah ?

A Rabbi once explained that everything that is found in the world has its root in kedushah, even things that look like the opposite of G-dliness. A man asked him how could that be? What could possibly be the root of avodah zarah in the Torah? Atheism is exemplified by the belief of Pharaoh that "I created my self". The rabbi answered him that when a poor man comes to you and he asks for help, at that moment is not a time to be holy and tell the poor man that he should rely on G-d in Heaven. Calculating that everything that the poor man will get this year was already determined for him on Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur so if G-d wants him to remain poor why should I interfere and if G-d wants him to be rich he doesn't need me to help him either. The Torah says no! At that time do not rely on G-d in Heaven. This is not the time to be holy! This is a time to say that the whole world depends on me! And if I don't help this poor man then no one in the whole world will. It is not a time to rely on G-d but it is a time to think as an "atheist" might that the whole world depends on me and it's up to me to do something about it.

Inspired from the teachings of the Lubavitcher Rebbe.

see for yourself below:

No comments: